Sunday, July 11, 2010

Island Scenery

From Photo of the day 2010

Kind of funny how this shot made the cut - I really like it but it was shot from the hip and its straight out of the camera. A friend of mine has a small helicopter (Robinson R22) and we went flying a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what river this is, its either the Nanaimo or the Cowichan, and something makes me thing its the former. Anyways, I was trying to center the shot down the valley and obviously missed. Once on the computer screen though, I liked the lighting and (remarkably) the framing as well. Who knows, I might even get it printed.


From Photo of the day 2010


This one I took two days ago while walking my dog at Cadboro Bay's Gyro park in the morning. The last few days here have been fantastic weather. I metered this off the log to avoid over exposing it and then framed the boats to lead off into the horizon. Large F-stop to keep things all relatively in focus with plenty of light for the shutter. Again, this is straight out of the camera. The mountains in the distance are those of the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state.

I'm back to taking more photos now that I'm not so overwhelmed with school work but seem to forget to process them. I will work on that and try to get stuff up here sooner.






And in case you are interested, a basic shot of my friends heli, taken when I got out to try get some shots of an osprey.


From Photo of the day 2010

1 comment:

  1. hi emily,
    so wonderful to see a young woman falconer!
    myself am trying to track down one feather (recently fallen) from a harris hawk for a special project -- and am wondering if Fowler would like to contribute one of his latest moulted feathers?
    i am in victoria and would be willing to meet up with you or send you packet with postage/ payment for you to mail back --
    or if you know of another source...
    let me know what you think?
    thanks,
    sj
    harrishawkfeather@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete