Saturday, March 19, 2011

Sidney and a Hummer

From Photo of the day 2011

Two of my Aunts from Saskatchewan are out visiting for a few days, so we've been doing some of the more tourist-y activities available in Victoria. Today we made the trek out to Sidney - partly for the fish and chips at Fish on Fifth, partly to visit the Shaw Ocean Discovery Center. We went to the center first, I'd never been, and were impressed to say the least. They make a great show of making you feel like you are going into the deep when you come in and their displays of local habitats are fantastic. Highly recommended. Anyways - this was a shot from one of their jellyfish aquariums at the start, I can't remember what kind this one is but I've seen them off the piers occasionally. I'm a bit disappointed with the moire patterns, but the files of a bunch of the others, along with my moon jelly shots somehow got corrupted (not cool). This shot is only cropped to remove the light that was reflecting in the top corner.


From Photo of the day 2011
A stunning great blue heron in full breeding plumage hunting on the shore in Sidney. This was shot with a wide angle lens! I didn't bring my whole camera bag out because it was having zipper issues (and its heavy) so that was all I had. I think if I had my long lens it would have been the best heron picture I have. I cropped this slightly to "zoom" it in a bit, but not much. I also liked how calm the water is and how well the rocks showed through the sea. Other than the crop, straight from the camera.

From Photo of the day 2011
This was shot from my dining room table a few days ago. This female Anna's Hummingbird has taken to sitting on the side of the feeder so I can get more than her head in a picture. I used my long lens from abou 4-5 ft away from her, so I could zoom in quite close. I was impressed by how sharp it came out of the camera. I did crop this (to remove more of the feeder), increased the fill light, highlights and shadows (to boost the contrast a bit) and then added a touch of saturation. I don't think I would've needed to do all that had the sun come out more. Really, these are just tweaks, all in Picasa3.

Now if only the male would visit that side of the feeder!

No comments:

Post a Comment