Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Canyon Daytrip

From Photo of the day (2009)


From Photo of the day (2009)


I'm taking my long weekend after the real long weekend - most of the tourists are gone but things are open. I drove up past Hope and Yale to Alexandra Bridge Provincial Park. The park is little more than a rest stop, but the trail leads down where the old Caribou highway was put in when they realized train travel wasn't going to be enough. The original bridge was built in 1862 (BC's first suspension bridge), but torn down in 1915 when it was usurped by the completion of the CPR railway. When cars became prevalent, they rebuilt the bridge on the same site and it was used from 1926 to 1964 when the new one, still in use now, was built a ways downstream. If you are interested, this site has a variety of photos and info on the bridge and area.

After the photo shoot there, I stopped in to visit "The History that is Yale". I was a bit disappointed to tell you the truth. The museum was very good, but the walking tour was a let down. All the points on the map are long gone, but you can walk to where they were and read about them - oh and I couldn't actually find two of the "points of interest" which included an old cemetery that I would have enjoyed. The lady at the museum took me around to some of the things on site - namely one of the oldest Churches in BC (disputed as to whether it or one in hope holds the title (I got to pull the bell rope!), some recreated 1800's style tent buildings, and a very old Red Beech tree planted by a young girl with some relation to or friendship with the Church priest.

From Photo of the day (2009)



From Photo of the day (2009)


From Photo of the day (2009)


Stopped in Hope on the way home, and actually felt like I've been somewhere! I think more Daytrips will be in order in the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment