Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cadboro Bay

From Photo of the day 2011

I really like how this one came out and if I knew I was going to be more consistently posting, I would have left it here. I will call it the "official" photo of the day. I spotted this scene immediatly on arriving at the beach this morning and liked how the oars of the rowboat looked. I framed it long to give it more perspective, same reason for using a wider aperture to blur the driftwood out. It makes your eye look out towards the fellow rowing rather than the foreground. He looked kind of lonely out there by himself, not sure if he was. The boat in the picture turned out not to be where he was headed, there were two more anchored out of the shot to the left and he went to one of those. This is straight from the camera - I was going to clone out what I thought was sensor dust just above the bow of the boat, then realized when I zoomed in, it was actually part of the boat!


From Photo of the day 2011

A barnacled rock being washed by the waves. I liked how the waves were coming in, and figured the bubbles would make a neat shot, but knew from previous experience that those kinds of shots need something to focus on - bubbles don't work on their own. This lonely barnacled rock worked out quite well - I had fun trying out my new D200's rapid fire (5 fps) continuous shooting and so took a lot of these ones, some with the water just coming in, some with more water, etc. This one came out the best. I cropped it a bit to change the framing (put the rock more to the center left) and to bring out the focus on the barnacles some more. I know when viewing the small versions on here the little details aren't so clear.


From Photo of the day 2011

And last but not least - my pooch. Mostly in here just because it is a nice picture of her. I think she was watching some ducks and debating if it was worth swimming out to chase them or not. Turns out it was. I adjusted the fill light (increased) to bring out her dark face a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment