Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Scale

From Photo of the day 2011

I took a paininting down to Prism Imaging in Victoria to have some prints made a few days ago in the morning. Seeing as I had to go downtown for that, I took the dog to the Dallas Road beach for her morning run. It must have been a spring tide (or close to it) as the water was way out and this big rock was exposed. I thought the big barnacles were cool - about the size of a twoonie around - and then I noticed that they had little barnacles on top of them. I was reminded of the saying "even my bruises have bruises" and figured this could be the "even the barnacles have barnacles!". The kelp added a bit extra for perspective and interest. I've been discovering the auto-bracketing function on my new camera which is cool. It gives me a chance to take the same picture in a three (or more) frame burst, and the camera will vary the exposure a little bit with each shot. I have it set to do this using shutter speed. You can do it with aperture too - I guess you could use that for action shots - but that would change your depth of field, which was way more important to this shot. I think this was the -0.3 exposure shot (meaning my chosen settings resulted in the image being more exposed than I would have liked) , which I further sharpened in Picasa 3. No cropping.


From Photo of the day 2011

While the previous was small scale, this is obviously large scale. I took this one the day before - actually, this several - on a hike up the aptly named Mt Work on Sunday afternoon. This is another stitched panorama shot using ArcSoft's Panorama Maker Pro (though this time version 5). Unfortunately the free version of the software only outputs 1/16th size panoramas - good enough for here, but not for printing. The free version of Pro 4 did the full size ones, but I guess then they weren't selling any software. I may remake this with a purchased version when I get some money.

Anyways - I shot the individual shots in a vertical camera frame to get more of the foreground in with the rest of the scenery. Also used as high an F-stop I could get and still hand-hold the shots in the given light (f 11) to maximize my depth of field. A total of 5 shots to make this one. You can see the Bamberton mill/quarry/construction site on the shores of the Saanich Inlet, and I think if had I bothered to haul out my binos on site I could have made out bits of Mill Bay and Cobble Hill. Of course, having the camera set up with the wide angle lens for scenery shots, I missed two great opportunities at eagles flying by at eye level or lower off the edge of the rock face. Bother. Other than the stitching, I did no post processing.

No comments:

Post a Comment